Pages

Monday 15 August 2016

Espoo Ciné International Film Festival 2016

Helsinki International Film Festival (Love & Anarchy) has been an annual event for me for couple of years, but this is the first time I’ll attend Espoo Ciné - partly because I’m going to miss HIFF this year.

I chose these six movies as my festival repertoire:

The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki (Hymyilevä mies / Juho Kuosmanen / 2016)
TRAILER
Hymyilevä mies won Un Certain Regard at Cannes. That’s enough reason to see it: generally there doesn't seem to be much artistic ambition in the Finnish movie scene. The movie seems fresh, fun and beautiful and I can't wait to see it.

All About Them (À trois on y va / Jérôme Bonnell / 2015)
TRAILER
I saw The New Girlfriend at last year’s HIFF and really enjoyed Anaïs Demoustier’s performance as a lead. The movie promises fun play with clichés and what's greater in a comedy?

Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi & Vincent Paronnaud / 2007)
TRAILER
Even though I have never read Persepolis, it’s reputation could not be missed. Both comics and animation are dear to me so this is going to be very interesting movie to see. Learning about lives that differ so much from ours is also so so important.

Love & Friendship (Whit Stallman / 2016)
TRAILER
If it's just even close to as funny and quirky as the trailer, I'm going to have a great time.

Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade / 2016)
TRAILER
Described fun and weird - sounds just about right for me.

Le Fils de Joseph (Eugène Green / 2016)
TRAILER
Interesting themes of family, parenthood and religion - seems like a movie that sums up everything and paints a big, beautiful picture about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment